Tuesday, October 17, 2006

RSI is a pain in the arse/hand

Since I've been playing guitar a bit too much lately, I appear to have got RSI in my left hand. I played it literally all of Sunday, and then on Monday 3pm till I went to bed at about 1am, but only a couple of hours today cos of, well, sleeping in and going to dance and things. Although I'm fairly sure I've played guitar this much before at some time, I think it's just because I started trying to practice sweeping on Monday that the RSI started coming on. It's this damn song I've been trying to play. It's a rock cover for Canon by Pachelbel which was arranged by this guy called Jerry Chang (or Jerry C as he's better well known as). And it rocked! I was stunned, amazed, envious and my jaw dropped open when I saw him play it. And then many other guitarists have copied it and put their own video of themselves playing it onto the web and now I'm wondering why I've been having so much trouble learning to play it. Some of the bits in the song are easy but other bits are really hard, most especially the sweeping parts. But I reckon I could have learnt it in about 3 or 4 straight days, it's just this fricken RSI and "real life" that are the problems!!

If only I studied as much as I played guitar, I'd probably be set up for getting As in all my exams. I've noticed that I use guitar as a handy tool for procrastinating... often for hours on end. And then I use it for stress relief. And then I use it for when I'm bored. So basically all the time I'm playing it.

But this RSI is bugging me. I may have to take a break from guitar for a couple of days. URGGH!!! It's going to be HARD! Noooooooooooo!

But it's not really the pain of the RSI that's the problem, it's more the fact that I'm worried that if i'm not careful the pain could become permanent or become worse. Bad thing.

If you had asked me three years ago, I would have said the only way that I would ever get RSI would be from too much computer.

Turns out I would have been wrong.

1 comment:

Vincent McNabb said...

There's an easy way not to get RSI. Start smoking. Every half hour or so, you will take a break to stop what you are doing and let your hands have a rest while smoking.

Or you could not get addicted to anything and just consciously have a glass of water every now and again. That will also help you get the theoretical requirement of 3 litres a day. But I think drinking that much will just flush all the vitamins out of your system. I would say 1.5 to 2 litres is enough, but whatever.