Wednesday, October 26, 2005

A very musical conversation

I was having a conversation with Phil the other day. It was funny... in a silly way.

We were discussing what bands fit different types of genres.

"hey Sam, do you know what sort of band the Offspring are?" said Phil.
"Um, i think... ." I paused for a while so I could carefully think about my answer."They'd be rock!"
"Nope!" Phil said."They're punk!"
"So then that makes them punk-rock! I exclaimed
Phil grinned. "Noooo, they're just punk!" he said.
Then being my neutral orientated old self I said "Well if we say they're punk-rock, then we can both be right!"
"No!" said Phil, "...Ok then, do you know what sort of band Linkin Park is?" Phil asked me.
"Oh, that's obvious. They're alternative!"
"Nope. They're..."
I quickly interrupted Phil to say my explanation. "Well Linkin Park is alternative because it's 'alternatively' NOT what "adults" prefer.(Ha ha ha) *I quietly laugh at my joke under my breath* "I don't think my parents would prefer Linkin Park at least."
"Hmm, yea..."

I can't remember what exactly happened after that. But a point i'm trying to say is that it's hard to classify what sort of music a band plays. Such as later in the conversation, we started talking about System of a Down and how it is the hardest band to classify since it plays a variety of different sorts of music. Same goes with Greenday. Greenday plays a wide variety of music as well and was even accused (by some magazine I think it was) of falling away from its punk image.

I think i'm more likely to like a band if they play a wide variety of music.

No comments: